How search engines work.
Google, Yahoo, and Bing compete with each other to deliver the most accurate organic search results. What makes a search result accurate? Google compares the searcher’s query to three main things to produce accurate, prioritized search results:
A new Google algorithm.
- #1 – your website content – what service and/or information are you providing?
- #2 – your website traffic – how many users? how long do they stay on your website?
- #3 – your website presence – how well are you connecting / partnering with other authority figure websites?
Search engines used to give a lot of weight to #1 above, the website content. SEO professionals tried everything to trick the algorithm, namely flooding the website copy and code with search keyword phrases. Unfortunately, these tactics do little in the way of adding value to the reader, and hurt the credibility of the search and search engine.
Google has taken the lead in changing their algorithm to fight cheap tactics and focus on value for the searcher. Now, #1 above has been modified, and #2 and #3 have been promoted. The other search engines will be forced to follow if they want to keep their market share.
Value-Driven SEO for your website.
Because of Google’s search algorithm advancements, the focus of your website SEO efforts should be to create value. Here are the keys:
- write website copy that is value-oriented – relevant, engaging, clear, and educational
- construct clear navigational pathways for all your user types to get to their info
- implement bug-free, usable functionality
- create a design that focuses on content clarity and usability
After the value side has been addressed, it’s time to research the search friendly keywords and substitute them into the copy and code – without sacrificing readability value.
Keyword Research and Application. We perform a SEO keyword analysis specific to your company/industry and embed your copy with a comprehensive set of keyword phrases that are most likely to boost organic search engine rankings. Other SEO applications include keyword embedded meta tags, keyword customized URL page addresses, keyword optimized images, blog tag categorization, blog commenting, sitemap submissions, and much more.
Value-Driven SEO for your web presence.
Periodic Evaluation and Refinement. We analyze performance data to find patterns of success and failure for all SEO-related aspects, including website content, navigational pathways, functionality, design, usability, and of course, search friendly keywords. Periodic usually means quarterly, but more involved websites need more frequent refinements.
In order to find you, web users will most likely start at one of the major search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing) or one of hundreds of alternative search engines (directories, educational sites / blogs, etc.). All of these paths are search channels, or any path that a web user can navigate to get to your website.
In so many cases, your customers will end up finding alternative search channels, such as listing directories, educational websites / blogs, social media websites, and other popular websites on their path to your website. Google awards value, and these sites bring it. Look at this example of a common search channel:
- User searches Google for “find a good roofing company” –> The top search results are mostly education websites, so the user clicks on an educational blog article.
- The blog article discuses Kudzu and Angieslist as great ways to see reviews of local businesses, so the user types in “Kudzu.com” into the URL bar, and at Kudzu.com the user searches for “roofing company atlanta”
As you can see, being high up on the first page of Google’s search results for “roofing company atlanta” is only part of the equation.
Search Channel Application. We look at all of the commonly used search channels of your target market and customize a strategy to put you in those channels. Many of these services require periodic management and / or optimization. This work includes:
- developing a social media presence
- posting articles on industry related blogs with link-backs
- creating profiles on industry directories
- creating map profiles for geographical searches
- managing your online reviews and reputation
- building a mobile website
- many other strategies….